July 12, 2011

Coolers for Biking

A classic summer bike dilemma is how to keep your beer chilled while riding around. This past weekend I found a great answer to that problem.

IMG_8455
I've known for a while now that the Banjo Brothers backpacks could make great coolers on the go, but I've never wanted to empty it's contents out and get the inside soaking wet.
That's where I put my stuff and to get it wet would mean at least several hours of not being able to use my backpack. Not that I don't have other backpack's, but still it's a strong enough deterrent for a lazy one such as myself.

They say necessity is the mother of invention and my back has been in rough shape since Midwest Mayhem and right when I thought it was getting better I rode Wirth with a backpack on and refucked myself (the recent earlier injury happened while riding with a backpack). Since that time I've been putting in a bunch of miles on my townie, the GMS bike, which I recently outfitted with a rear rack so that I don't have to carry anything on my person.
IMG_8534
*best shot I have of the loaded bike

Long story short, this past weekend I realized that the Banjo Brothers Pannier I had with the same construction as the pack would make a sick action cooler. Struck by a bolt of inspiration I put both beer and ice in it and you know what? It totally worked.
Flippin' perf brah.

Banjo Brothers Waterproof Pannier
IMG_8567

IMG_8568
you put the beer and ice in here

IMG_8571
then roll it up and attach it to your bike



I'm thinking next time I go to Midwest Mountaineering I will pick up some of that boat pad high density foam and cut it down to insulate the sides and bottom. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

JT said...

As someone who has routinely put cold beer & ice in my Chrome Sultan rolltop, I'll say this- lighter colors would make the ice last a heckuvalot longer.