October 3, 2010

Saturday: Bandit Cross Race #1

The whole thing went better than planned. A superb day of trail work, racing, and drinking.

IMG_4606
IMG_4610
IMG_4609

A tour through the course, which turned out way better than I had imagined.

IMG_4614
Opening pavement section. If you squint and wish with all your heart the phrase "Roubaix-ish" becomes relevant.

IMG_4616
First dismount over the tracks
(props to only female racer, Alix Magner)

IMG_4618
Into the gravel pit section

IMG_4619
IMG_4620

IMG_4622
gravel hill climb with switchback

IMG_4624
descending w/ climber in background

IMG_4627
into the ped bridge climb
IMG_4628

IMG_4630
down the bridge and into the woods section

IMG_4632IMG_4634
look closely at this photo, the courier kids were doing "danger dollars." flaming one dollar bill hand ups

IMG_4637
natural log barriers

IMG_4638

IMG_4641
last of the woods section

IMG_4644
Top 3 finishers

1. Aaron Peterson
2. Skinny Randy
3. Matt

22 racers signed up, lap times were around 5 minutes, and the course actually turned out pretty darn good. This first Bandit Cross race was kept intentionally short notice on my part so that we could try it out with a small group before really trying to make a push towards larger numbers. Everything went off great, and I have high hopes that this will continue to grow and grow.

A number of you told me about potential other courses that you'd like to see happen. My challenge to you is to get off your butt and make it happen. This race took very little to organize. All I did was scout a course, make a flyer, and show up to do the trail work. That's pretty much it. You can totally do it, and I think having various organizers and courses will really help keep the series interesting. If you're interested in throwing a leg of the series, please let me know.

Huge thank you to all the riders, workers, and spectators. It was a perfect day with good racing and plenty of new friends. Everyone was in good spirits, no bullshit attitudes, just a lot of fun.

One of the racers grabbed the wrong helmet, so if you ended up with the wrong Lazer helmet, get a hold of me, and I'll try to put you in touch to make the swap.

Can't wait to do it again. Be on the lookout for the next race in the series, coming soon!

More photos from the race on my Flickr

3 comments:

J.R. Hunter said...

Looks awesome, I rode Leb with galpal so I missed it...be there next time

cockleburr said...

Nice work crew! Looks like we'll be racing there again. At the minium some drinking and a fire.

Anonymous said...

When's the next one?