September 23, 2010

Team Issue Curt Goodrich Cross Bike

Stopped by One on One and saw this gorgeous Team Issue Goodrich
IMG_4477IMG_4479IMG_4480IMG_4481IMG_4483
nice detail

IMG_4488
IMG_4486

For those of you who may not be aware of who Curt Goodrich is, he's based out of MPLS, and is one of the most distinguished frame builders going.

Check out his pedigree

I began my apprenticeship building bicycles in 1995 under the watchful eye of Dan Wynn in Seattle. I’d always loved craftsmanship and for a year paid my dues filing, sanding fillets, machining and aligning frames and forks. I was acquiring crucial skills, working hard, and learning by the day. When Matt Houle at the well-established R&E Cycles shop offered me a job, I spent two years TIG-welding and further evolving my skills, though my heart still lay in traditional lugged construction. When I’d heard that Tim Isaac was setting up match bicycle company as a high-end production shop and that our first project would be to build Schwinn Paramounts, I was third to be hired. I had the good fortune to be working with Kirk Pacenti, whose contributions to lug design are now well-known, Steve Hampsten who moved onto his own company with Hampsten Cycles and Cycles Tournesol, and Mark Bulgier, Dan Swanson, and Martin Tweedy, and others. Two years after the Paramount project began, Grant Petersen of Rivendell Bicycle Works approached match bicycles to relieve Rivendell’s long backlog of frame orders. For the next year I built Rivendell frames while Martin Tweedy built forks. But change was in the works: match was closing shop. Ben Serotta, founder of Serotta Competition Bicyles, offered me a position building steel and titanium primarily in TIG-construction and it was then I realized how I felt about building lugged steel designs. I declined Serotta’s generous offer and shortly afterwards Grant Petersen offered me the opportunity to continue building custom Rivendells. I moved my family to Minneapolis to establish my own frame shop and from 2000 until 2007 I built custom lugged steel frames for Rivendell and, when asked privately, the occasional Goodrich frame.

Orders for Goodrich bicycles evolved past my abilities to continue building for Rivendell —and I am delighted to say that Goodrich Bicycles now provide the opportunity to extend myself in ways that reflect fully my experiences as a builder. Here you will find road bikes and sportif all-arounders, long distance randonneuse with custom carriers and constructeur-style design and specialty bikes for cyclocross, track and single speed, and city porteurs. In short, you’ll find the full range of what is possible in custom lugged and filet-brazed bicycles. Have a look at the process page to consider more possibilities and styles and to the gallery page to see more examples of my work.


text from Goodrich's website

2 comments:

coco said...

go look at the bern booth!

CraiggleS said...

The frame kills, of course. The bike just needs a Goodrich fork and not-so-stupid wheels and bars and it would be ready to race.