July 28, 2009

RiverWest 24 the Aftermath

I was planning on writing up a big retelling of the weekend's adventures but I already did that on the All-City blog (and for those of you who maybe didn't know, I also write the AC blog, but since I get paid to do it it's usually more thoughtful and well crafted) so let me just say the following and let the pictures here and on the Bike Jerks flickr tell the story.

In hindsight, the more I think about the weekend the more grateful I am for it. It couldn't have come along at a better point in my summer or year or life. I had a spectacular time, discovered that the Riverwest neighborhood is romantic as hell (in the nostalgic, bundle up and go to the corner bar and order a brandy in the middle of winter kind of way), and realized how much I miss Wisconsin bar culture and the genuine openness that is clearly lacking when thrown in relief here in Minneapolis. Acquaintances became trusted friends and allies, strangers renewed my belief in other people, metal dudes caught some sun and you can bet your ass I'll be back next year for sure, I consider myself lucky to have been there for this one. It wasn't necessarily the race, races are what you make of them and the RW24 only served to form the framework within which the weekend developed. It was getting a peek into other people's worlds and remembering that skepticism and standoffishness are only crutches for the weak and hold few rewards.

Forgive me but I'm all emotional tonight. I'm a little drunk and my dear lil bro Matt just stopped by after finishing his long bike tour and I'm very happy to have my little man back around.

IMG_1031
IMG_1046
they've never seen a girl before.

IMG_1055
yes, I am this dumb

IMG_1064
our hosts

IMG_1068
base camp

IMG_1070

IMG_1076
Everyone is MIlwaukee has a Wisconsin tattoo, (you can see the bottom of Robert's here) you can't even believe it.

IMG_1078
Mark doing his "ain't I a stinker?" routine (note the 'sconnie tat)

IMG_1081

IMG_1088

IMG_1094
yes he's actually doing that

team
my favorite photo. Born with a Moustache: Boo, Mark, me, Josh

IMG_1099
IMG_1141
IMG_1146
IMG_1147

bagoo

3 comments:

rox said...

I hope you drank out of a boot too

Anonymous said...

Well put, Jeff. Riverwest is a great neighborhood. It was an amazing weekend and it was awesome to hang with you guys. Come back!

BWAM!

Boo

Jeff said...

BAGOO!